Anti-colonialism in digital software global goods

From today’s webinar:

I see the risk that the Global Public Goods are based in high-income countries and there is limited ownership and contributors from LMICs? Are Digital Square, DPGA, DIAL working towards (requiring) creating communities in LMICs, so that these are not thought as neo-colonialism?

This is an excellent topic, and I would welcome an online discussion here. From my perspective in the OpenLMIS Community and at VillageReach, we actively work to change power structures and shift the leadership and involvement. More needs to be done in our community and across the digital ecosystem and I would love to hear others’ feedback on this.

1 Like

Thanks @sunbiz & @brandon for this important question and response.

I agree that it is a critical topic. If we are to be serious about the UN’s call to “Leave No One Behind”, we must work to build not only capacity in low and middle income countries, but also to help make sure people in those places are also co- “owners” of these open source Digital Public Goods.

In our DIAL Open Source Center long-term strategy, we are working toward building up opportunities for training, education, and ecosystems to ensure that people in local communities have the skills, tools, and (most importantly?) funding they need to turn these public goods into local solutions.

While we have some initial ideas about how to start building those relationships and opportunities, I’m going to ping @harensen to chime in too, as this is a goal near and dear to his heart and one that we could probably have an entire 1-hour (or longer) webinar about. (Maybe we should!) :slight_smile:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.