Backlog and Closing Time

In this post, I want to offer you a brief introduction to two common metrics related to the performance of the projects when dealing with the new requests sent by their communities. Whether they are Issues, pull requests, merge requests, or tickets don’t mind at all:

• All of them are opened by someone to request something.
  • The author expects an answer as soon as possible.

So, a first step to analyze the performance of a project could include, at least :

• Backlog analysis, i.e., requests that remain in an opened state.
  • Closing time analysis, i.e., the time to close the requests.

Of course, there are other possibilities like the time to the first response, the ratio between what the project closes and what the community opens during a time, etc, and in future posts, we can explore some of them.

In this case, instead of providing insights, I will share the links to the dashboards so you can play with them and try to find those insights by yourselves because you know your projects much better than me. If you find something interesting, weird, or simply need some help to dive into the data, please reply to this thread so we can help you to make the most out of the dashboard.

An important thing you will need to start drilling down: by default, data is not filtered by project, so you will see data for all the tracked projects together. To get the filter in place follow the next steps:

• Click on Add filter + on the top left corner of the dashboard.
    add_filter
  • Select project_1 field, is operator and the name of the project you are interested in.
    filter
  • Click on Save and we’re done, the data will get filtered!

The specific dashboards available to analyze the backlog are:

For the time to close there is a specific gauge widget on the following dashboards (we will probably write a specific post for the rest of the widgets, you can read the documentation to find out more details, though):

There are a lot of things to start playing with. Have some fun!