HOT Tasking Manager: Automatized support for Organised Editing Guidelines

Hello everyone,

My name is João Vitor, Gsoc’20 student and I will be working on the project “Automatized support for Organised Editing Guidelines” with HOT.
In this topic, I will post the project updates and all the necessary information about it.

So happy to contribute to this project! :smiley:

4 Likes

Community Bonding - Week 1:

Firstly, I would like to thank my mentor @felix and HOT for selecting me, so happy with this opportunity!

Before the official announcement, @felix organized a video conference about the project expectations and a quick view of the community bonding period, as the students weren’t announced back then I choose to advance some activities voluntarily. These activities consisted of checking which fields required for automatized Organised Editing Guidelines already are present and which are missing in the Tasking Manager and also, a list of tasks to be done during the project.

After the announcement, we had a new meeting to review the activities made last week. The next steps are posting a comment on the issue of this project to show the advances to the community and receive some feedback. Also, we want to have a small proof of concept of the connection between Tasking Manager and OpenStreetMap.

Looking forward to work with the HOT team and all its community!

2 Likes

Community Bonding - Week 2:

This week, I made all the activities defined in the first-week meeting and defined some tasks for the next week.

I opened this issue in the Tasking Manager repository describing all the work done until now, which helped me to advanced the work with the work plan, adding new content that was unknown before. Also, Implemented a small proof-of-concept service, that is able to get information from an application, like the Tasking Manager, and saves it.

Currently, I am updating the proof-of-concept service with new features requested by @felix .

2 Likes

Community Bonding - Week 3:

Started This week with the updates in the proof-of-concept service with a new endpoint for edit GitHub files through GitHub API and save necessary information into a Postgres database.

Also, updated the Workplan with all knowledge acquired in the last few weeks.

For the next week, the task is creating and editing OpenStreetMap Wiki pages , which can be done with the Python library Pywikibot or directly through the MediaWiki API

2 Likes

Community Bonding - Week 4:

Updated the proof-of-concept service for creating and editing pages in mediawiki instances using the MediaWiki API.

The changes made allow us to report data back to OpenStreetMap Wiki when a project is created and all its information in a MediaWiki instance.
This includes creating a new page in OpenStreetMap Wiki and also updating a page inserting a new project at the table that contains all current projects that follow the Organised editing guidelines

Next week we will update the fields presents in wiki pages, so it is more generalist for automatizing the data report from Tasking Manager to OpenStreetMap

1 Like

Week 5 of Gsoc 20
Coding Period - Week 1:

This week was very productive, I kept working in the proof-of-concept service updating the content of all wiki pages that were created during the last weeks. Updating these page contents resulted in the creation of four wiki pages containing the content listed below:

• Overview page containing all organisations information
  • Organisation page containing all organisations activities
  • Activity page containing all projects in this activity
  • Project page containing all information of a project

Next week we will update the wiki pages content. Instead of having four wiki pages now, it will have three pages after merging the organisation page with the activity page. Also, update all these changes to work with storing files in a GitHub repository, not just creating wiki pages.

1 Like

Week 6 of Gsoc 20
Coding Period - Week 2:

This week I kept working in the proof-of-concept service Updated the content of wiki pages that resulted in three page levels

• Overview page containing a list with all organisations
  • Organisation page containing all its projects and also some description about the organisation
  • Project page containing all information of a project

Updated the update file endpoint for GitHub files, now it updates the Yaml File according to URL query parameters.

Also, I started adding missing fields in the Tasking Manager. Right now I’m waiting for this Pull Request approval

Next week I will work updating the path where files are stored on Github according to its organisers and organisations. After this, I will add some of the missing fields required for Organised Editing Guidelines in the Tasking Manager listed on the project issue

1 Like

Week 7 of Gsoc 20
Coding Period - Week 3:

This week I started to add missing fields required for Organised Editing Guidelines in Tasking Manager. After talking with @felix and Wille (both mentors) we noticed that some of the missing fields listed on the project issue are already present in Tasking Manager, but with different names (e.g. non-standard tools and data sources represented in Tasking Manager as per-task instructions/licenses). So I opened three Pull Requests with the missing fields, listed below:

Also, updated the content of update endpoint for GitHub files in the Proof of concept service.

For the next week, I will start writing the blog post for the first evaluation and create a branch in the Tasking Manager repository for start the communication with the report to OpenStreetMap service.

1 Like

Week 8 of Gsoc 20
Coding Period - Week 4:

This week I started to integrate the Tasking Manager with the Proof of concept service, which is present here. At the moment the code is parsing the project data into a json with the required format and posting to the Proof of concept service.
Also, I wrote a blog post talking about the experience during the last few weeks in GSoC and got one of my Pull Requests containing missing fields required for Organised Editing Guidelines accepted.

For the next week, I will keep integrating the Tasking Manager with the proof of concept service and prepare a presentation for the state of the map, which we are going to talk to the community about the project and the solutions we are proposing.

1 Like

Week 9 of Gsoc 20
Coding Period - Week 5:

This week I kept integrating the Tasking Manager with the Proof of concept service. Now it is creating pages in a wiki and creating files in a Github repository when a project with PUBLISHED status is saved do the database.
Also, I did some refactoring in the Proof of concept service and had a presentation in the state of the map talking about the ideas of the project and what we have implemented so far.

For the next week, I will keep integrating the Tasking Manager with the proof of concept service and at the end of the week, the update endpoint should be working after saving a project that already was reported from Tasking Manager.

1 Like

Week 10 of Gsoc 20
Coding Period - Week 6:

This week I kept working in the Proof of concept service. Now it is updating wiki pages and GitHub repositories.
After discussing with my mentors we decided to use both solutions (git and wiki). When a project is saved with a PUBLISHED status it must be reported to a git repository. For the wiki solution, we are going to schedule the report to be made in a period of time.

For the next week, I will create a repository in the HOT GitHub organization and start to work there. My first task is to update the git report code to any git repository, this can be done by using a pure git library (like Dulwich or GitPython) instead of an API (GitHub or Gitlab API’s). After that, I will keep integrating the Tasking Manager with the report service.

1 Like

Week 11 of Gsoc 20
Coding Period - Week 7:

This week I created a repository in the HOT GitHub organization and started to work there, adding the initial structure of the repository based on the Proof of concept service that I have been working during the summer. Also, I updated the git report code to any git repository, using the GitPython library instead of an API (GitHub or Gitlab API’s).

For the next week, I will add the git report in the HOT organization report with tests and update any necessary changes pointed by @felix and Wille.

Week 12 of Gsoc 20
Coding Period - Week 8:

This week I opened three Pull Requests for adding the git report in the OEG Reporter repository, down below is a list with all this PRs.

For the next week, I will add the wiki report in the HOT organization report with tests and update any necessary changes pointed by @felix and Wille. Also, I will do the GSoC second evaluation.

Week 13 of Gsoc 20
Coding Period - Week 9:

This week I opened one WIP Pull Request for adding the create endpoint of wiki report in the OEG Reporter repository.

For the next week, I will add the wiki report update endpoint in the HOT organization report with tests and update any necessary changes pointed by @felix and Wille.