ODK-X: Improving ODK Services User Interface

About Me

Hello Everyone!
I am Varun Tiwari, a 2nd Year Undergraduate hailing from India and pursuing B.Tech in Information Technology from IIIT Allahabad.
This is the first time I am participating in GSoC.

My Project

This project involves improving the User Interface of the ODK-X Services Application by redesigning the Application Flow and improving the User Experience of various features provided by the Application, with major emphasis on simplifying the Authentication Workflow.

My Time Zone

(Asia/Kolkata) UTC +5:30

Getting in Touch

Github: VarunT11(Varun Tiwari)
LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/iamvt11/

I will be using this topic to post about my Progress.
Looking forward to a Great Learning Experience!

Week - 1 (Community Bonding Period) [17 May - 23 May]

• Introduced myself to the Community and shared the availability time with the Mentors.
  • Shared the Project Plan with the Community.
  • Participated in the ODK-X Community Call held on 2021-05-25T15:00:00Z.
  • Started the Design of Various Screens that would be implemented in the Project.

Week - 2 (Community Bonding Period) [24 May - 30 May]

• Arranged Weekly Meetings with the Project Mentors - @Waylon_Brunette and @dexter21 every Wednesday at 17:00 UTC.
  • Attended an informal meeting with the project mentors on 2021-05-27T16:30:00Z.
  • Completed the Designs of the Screens and added them in a Google Doc.
  • Arranged Weekly Meetings with all the GSoC Students and the mentors of the ODK-X Community every Friday at 15:30 UTC.

Week - 3 (Community Bonding Period) [31 May - 6 June]

• Attended the first Weekly Meeting with the Project Mentors where I discussed the Project Plan and took feedback regarding the new Designs.
  • Attended the first GSoC Community Meeting where I presented the new designs and took feedback from the mentors regarding them.
  • Posted the Designs on the ODK-X Community Forum to take feedback from the Community.

Week - 4 (Coding Period) [7 June - 13 June]

• Took suggestions and recommendations from the ODK-X Community Meeting held on 2021-06-08T15:00:00Z regarding the UI of the various screens.
  • Went through the codebase of Services and Android Library.
  • Started the Official Coding and accomplished the following targets:
    • UI Screen Update of Main Activity (Both Portrait and Landscape)
    • Addition of Various Properties required during Authentication in Android Library.
    • Integration of new UI Update with the current Authentication Workflow.
  • Gave an update on the work done in the weekly meetings.

Week - 5 (Coding Period) [14 June - 20 June]

• Implemented the Navigation Drawer in Main Activity and added actions corresponding to the selection of an item in it.
  • Gave the Progress Update in the Weekly Meetings.
  • Made the First 2 GSoC PRs (services#211 & androidlibrary#206) after refactoring code and completing the Implementation Part of UI Update of the Main Activity.
  • Completed the UI Update of Verify Server Settings Activity in Portrait Mode.