Weekly GSoC Standups for 2020-W20

This is the weekly standup for Week 20 of 2020. Each Monday, all of our @gsoc-students across all our sub-orgs should reply to this topic by copying and pasting the template below. This topic will remain open for replies through the end of Monday, so please remember to update each Monday in your local time zone. Thank you!

{Your Sub-Org: Your Project Name}

Mentor: (Please @-mention your project’s primary mentor here.)

:ballot_box_with_check: Past Week: (Briefly describe your efforts from the past week. You may also link to your weekly update description from last Friday.)

:black_square_button: Week Ahead: (Briefly describe your plans for the week ahead.)

:stop_sign: Current Blockers: (Do you have any issues blocking your progress on these or other items? if so, describe.)

3 Likes

Tor Project: Snowflake Proxy on Android

Mentor: @cohosh

:ballot_box_with_check: Past Week: This week has been all about community bonding and learning practices (the workflow) and tools used by the Tor organization. A detailed description of events can be found in the weekly update blog.

:black_square_button: Week Ahead: Setting up a development environment and running local server (SnowBox) to aid my development process and make things smoother when coding starts.

:stop_sign: Current Blockers: NONE

2 Likes

moja global: Develop FLINT JSON User Interface

Mentor: @mfellows

:ballot_box_with_check: Past Week: The last week was all about community bonding, knowing the mentors and fellow students, getting equipped with the organisation principles and deciding upon a public platform to discuss weekly deliverables and work plans. My previous week’s blog post can be found here!

:black_square_button: Week Ahead: The current week, I am going to finalize my schedule of deliverables and work plans, which are to be followed during the entire coding period.

:stop_sign: Current Blockers: None!

3 Likes

moja global: Interactive Visualization Tool for GCBM Output

Mentor: @koukas

:ballot_box_with_check: Past Week:

• Interacted with my peers, mentor and other members of my sub-org.
  • Wrote my first weekly update.

:black_square_button: Week Ahead:

• Work on the project plan.
  • Setup my development environment and document the process (to make it convenient for future contributors)

:stop_sign: Current Blockers: None.

4 Likes

Open Data Kit: Migrate the Database and Integrate ODK-X Push Notifications into ODK-X Tool Suite

Mentor: @guptaharsh615

• Interacted with my mentors and members of the ODK community.
  • Discussed my project proposal with the mentor.

• Reading and understanding sync-client documentation.

:stop_sign: Current Blockers: None.

4 Likes

Moja Global: Refactor FLINT Core Code Base ________________________________________________________________________________________________

Mentor: @mfrancis

Community bonding period: Interacted with mentors and fellow students.
My previous week’s blog post can be found here

I am going to finalize my Work plans for the upcoming coding period with a proper schedule of deliverables.
And also to build a Development Environment.

:stop_sign: Current Blockers: None!

2 Likes

Ushahidi: GMail Data Source Support

Mentor: @romina

:ballot_box_with_check: Past Week: This lask week was about community bonding and onboarding to the team, also got my setup ready on testing and debugging for the project.

:black_square_button: Week Ahead: This week, my mentors and I will go over my project plan and I’ll also work on community issues on GitHub.

:stop_sign: Current Blockers: NONE

2 Likes

Tor Project: Cloudflare CAPTCHA Monitoring

Mentor: @Georg

:ballot_box_with_check: Past Week: I spent my time getting used to IRC and getting know to my mentors. I wrote a wiki article on the Tor Project’s trac to explain my project. The wiki article can be found here. My mentors introduced me to a few external researchers that might be helpful for my project. My previous week’s blog post can be found here.

:black_square_button: Week Ahead: I plan to open trac tickets to define individual tasks for my project. So that the wider community can make comments on them and watch the progress. I will also discuss the details of my project with the external researchers I mentioned.

:stop_sign: Current Blockers: I have my university finals this week. They don’t really block my progress but they do slow it down.

2 Likes

moja global: Develop a module for agricultural soils for FLINT

Mentor: @jleitch

:ballot_box_with_check: Past Week: Interacted with the moja global community. Built the development environment for FLINT. The previous week’s blog can be found here.

:black_square_button: Week Ahead: Prepare deliverables and a work plan for the coding period. Go through the documentation and suggest changes. Simulate a module on FLINT to get an idea of how modules work.

:stop_sign: Current Blockers: No

2 Likes

Public Lab: Spam Management Dashboard

Mentor: @jywarren @ananyaarun @pydevsg @emilyashley

:ballot_box_with_check: Past Week: Last week was all about planning and community bonding. I discussed with my mentors and have created a list of tasks in a planning Issue. I have also worked on UI and Bulk Moderation(proposal).

:black_square_button: Week Ahead: Next week I will work on bulk Moderation and finalize my plans for the coding period.

:stop_sign: Current Blockers: None

2 Likes

HOT Tasking Manager: Automatized support for Organised Editing Guidelines

Mentor: @felix

• Meeting with mentor
  • Defined tasks for this week

• Post comment in [project issue](https://github.com/hotosm/tasking-manager/issues/1373) talking about the first steps
  • Proof of concept for connection between Tasking Manager and OpenStreetMap

1 Like

PublicLab: Mapknitter Export Module and Spectral Workbench upgrades

Mentor: @jywarren

• Chatting with community
  • Opening issues for the week @ Spectral Workbench project

• Planning very detailed issues for Mapknitter Exporter project
  • Merge the PR opened at Spectral Workbench upgrades to the main branch

:stop_sign: Current Blockers : None

2 Likes

Open Data Kit: Rewrite ODK Collect Widgets using the new ‘Widget Framework’

Mentor: @seadowg
:ballot_box_with_check: Past Week: Last week was all about community bonding, knowing the mentor, org maintainers, and other students. We discussed the project proposal and the deliverables. My mentor reviewed my PRs and guided me on how to complete the work on them.

:black_square_button: Week Ahead: This week, I plan on deciding with my mentor, the first widget, that I should start the work with. I’ll start reading the documentation on various testing frameworks for Android. Meanwhile, I’ll also finish off my work on the already submitted draft PRs.

This topic was automatically closed after 20 hours. New replies are no longer allowed.